Each year at the Regional Aquatics Workshop the presentations are judged to determine those that will make the Best of Raw list. Below are those that made the list from 2010 - current.
Our partnership with RAW started at the 2012 Workshop. For those presentations where we have permission from 2012 to current you can click on the titles to take you to the published page with the video.
Best of RAW 2010
Best of RAW 2010 Titles and Presenters only
- Aquarium Collection Sustainability- Planning for the Future. Dennis Thoney, Vancouver Aquarium
- Initiation of a North Texas Unionid Mussel Conservation Program at the Dallas Aquarium. Barrett L. Christie, Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park
- A New Aquarium for a New Age of Sustainability. Chris Andrews, Ph.D. Steinhart Aquarium, California Academy of Sciences.
- Do Not Eat Shark Fin Soup- Landry's Restaurants and WildAid Collaboration. Jim Prappas, Landry's Downtown Aquarium.
- Dissolved Organic Carbon Testing in Seawater Using the UV254 Method. Rich Ross, Steinhart Aquarium.
- Sound, Stress, and Seahorses. Paul Anderson, Florida Aquarium.
- Care and Breeding of the Dwarf Cuttle, Sepia bandensis. Rich Ross, Steinhart Aquarium.
- Vancouver Aquarium's Canadian Arctic – A Chilling Experience. Dennis Thoney, Vancouver Aquarium.
Best of RAW 2011
Best of RAW 2011 Titles and Presenters only
- Collection, Transport, and Shipping of the Portuguese Man-of-War, Physalia physalis, to an inland aquarium --James Clark- Shedd Aquarium
- Food First, Then Fish � Jim Prappas � Landry�s Restaurants Inc
- Good Husbandry is Enrichment � Bryan McNeil- Seattle Aquarium
- Behavioral Modification in Large White Seabass (Atractoscion nobilis) to Facilitate Transfer
- Between Tanks �Chris Mirabal�California Science Center
- Building Guest Diving Experience Programs from the Ground Up � Mike Terrell � Florida Aquarium
- Closed System Culture of Abalone for Future Out Planting in a Public Aquarium�Aaron Hovis, Aquarium of the Pacific
- How to Select a Sustainable Aquarium Animal Supplier�Laura Simmons � Cairns Marine
- Marine Exotic Species Removal � Ashleigh Clews�National Aquarium (DC)
- Efforts in Rockfish Conservation in Puget Sound � Dave Smith-- Point Defiance Zoo and Tim Carpenter --Seattle Aquarium
Best of RAW 2012
Best of RAW 2012 (Videos require a membership on AnimalProfessional.com)
- Jennie Janssen, Georgia Aquarium, CLOSED-SYSTEM OXYGEN CONSUMPTION AND SUPPLEMENTATION OF PACIFIC SEA NETTLES
- Allison L. Corwin, Disney's The Seas with Nemo and Friends, A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF SPOTTED EAGLE RAY PUPS
- Barrett Christie, Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park [Desert Pup Fish link] IMPERILED DESERT FISHES OF THE AMERICAN WEST AND NORTHERN MEXICO
- Brenda Melton, Steinhart Aquarium, ANIMAL ATTRACTION: WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT?
- Ann Money, Oklahoma Aquarium, OUR GLOWING SEAS, THE MYSTERY OF UNDERWATER FLOURESCENCE
- Bob Snowden, Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium, FLORIDA CORAL RESCUE FROM THE NAVY'S TRUMAN MOLE PIER, KEY WEST, FL, NOVEMBER 2011
- Kevin Gaines, Coral Restoration Foundation, RESTORING CORAL REEFS THROUGH AZA PARTNERSHIPS
- Scott Dowd, New England Aquarium, PROJECT PIABA: 20 YEARS STUDYING THE AQUARIUM FISH TRADE; NOW IS THE TIME OFR AQUARIUMS TO TAKE ACTION.
Best of RAW 2013
Best of RAW 2013 (Videos available on AnimalProfessional.com)
- Manny Ezcurra and Paul Clarkson Monterey Bay Aquarium Monterey Bay Aquarium�s Project White Shark at 10 Years Old (or How to Shoot Yourself in the Foot)
- Al Dove Georgia Aquarium Whale Shark Aggregations in Yucatan, Mexico
- Paula Carlson Dallas World Aquarium An Update on Sawfish in Aquaria: The Global Conservation Strategy
- Greg Barord City University of New York, Brooklyn College 500 Million Years on Earth and We Still Don�t Know Jack: The Life of Nautilus
- Becca Gangler Ripley�s Aquarium � Myrtle Beach Ovariectomy of Sub-Adult Southern Rays (Dasyatis americana) to Prevent Reproduction and Future Reproductive Problems
- Krik Embree Central Campus Aquarium ScienceCentral Campus Revisited�..What have We Done?
Best of RAW 2014
Best of RAW 2014 (Videos available on AnimalProfessional.com)
- "Shark Ray Breeding"- Instructions Not Included- Dvornak et al; Newport Aquarium
- "From Egg to Bay: Adventure Aquarium's Horseshoe Crab Head-Start Program"- Ferroni; Adventure Aquarium
- "Determining the Life History and Spawning Cycle of the Grooved Brain Coral Diploria labyrinthiformis- Snowden; Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium
- "Attempted Treatments for Eimeria southwelli in Cownose Rays (Rhinoptera bonasus)"- Broadhurst; NC State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- "Degradation of Formalin- Evidence for Changes to Long-Term Formalin Treatment Protocols"- Knight et al; The Seas with Nemo and Friends
- "1985 Called- They Want Their Artemia Methods Back"- Rhyne; Roger Williams University
- "Rockfish Eye Surgery and New Techniques in Prosthetics"- Carpenter; Seattle Aquarium
- "Interview with a Vampire Squid: Advances in the Collection and Display of Deep-Sea Cephalopods"- Bitondo; Monterey Bay Aquarium
Best of RAW 2015
Best of RAW 2015 (Videos available on AnimalProfessional.com)
- “Mini Aquariums Coast to Coast: Catch-and-Release Public Aquarium Model”- Knight and Banwait
- “Thinking Outside the Box Truck- Long Distance Transports for Elasmobranchs: Department of Transportation Compliance and LSS Logistics”- Bailey et al
- “Project Coral- Captive Broadcast Coral Reproductive Research at the Horniman Museum & Gardens"- Davis
- “Mating, Birth, Larval Development and Settlement of Bargibant's Pygmy Seahorse, Hippocampus bargibanti (Whitley, 1970), in Aquaria”- Wandell and Ross
- “Sketch It Up: An In-House Approach to Life Support System Design and Development”- Buster et al
- “A Submersible Hyperbaric Chamber for Decompression of "Twilight Zone" Fishes”- Wandell
- "Advancements in the Management of Sea Star Wasting Syndrome in Aquaria" Bishop
- "A Cuttlefish of a Different Color: Investigating the Body Patterning in Metasepia pfefferi"- Thomas and MacDonald
Best of RAW 2016
Best of RAW 2016 (Videos available on AnimalProfessional.com)
- MacKenzie Bubel and Thomas Knowles - Smells like Ctene Spirit: Methods for culturing the Comb Jellies (Ctenophora) Mnemiopsis spp, Pleurobracia bachei, and Bolinopsis infundibulum
- Colby Johnson - A pilot study of the effect of gut loading live Artemia sp. with probiotics on survival during the pelagic phase of juvenile Hippocampus erectus
- Josh Tellier - Double your Goodeids, Double your fun: Collaborating with Students to increase breeding efforts and promote Goodeid conservation
- Dr. Elsburgh O. Clarke III - Successful Treatment of Eimeria southwelli in a Cownose Ray (Rhinoptera bonasus) using oral copper wire particles
- Danielle Haulsee – Internal Acoustic Transceivers Reveal the Annual Social Network Patterns in a Coastal Predator
- Mark Dvornak - Shark ray breeding - What a difference 711 days makes!
- Dr. Rob Jones and Sam Gilchrist - Botox as a possible treatment for spinal problems in sand tiger sharks (Carcharias taurus)
- Chad L. Widmer – Globs in Globes: Thinking outside the kreisel
Best of RAW 2017
Best of RAW 2017 (Videos available on AnimalProfessional.com)
- Barrett Christie: Effect of Supplemental Phosphorus and Organic Carbon on Nitrification during Cycling
- Rob Jones: Stress and its Effects on Fish (including Mycobacteria)
- Sandy Trautwein: Developing a Professional Team: Ideas from the Aquarium of the Pacific
- Andy Rhyne: Hormone Induced Spawning of the Atlantic Lookdown, Selene vomer
- Matt Wade: Hungry, Hungry Rhizostomes: Successful Rhizostome Culture Strategies at National Aquarium
- Jennie Janssen and Brian Nelson: The Cuboid Invasion – Part 1: Sweating the Small Stuff
- Mark Murray: Using Electricity to Bridge Temperate Sharks during Positive Reinforcement Training
- Katy Duke: Plastic Fantastic? Taking up the challenge of going #OneLess and Fires happen! … How prepared are you?
Best of RAW 2018
Best of RAW 2018 (Videos available on AnimalProfessional.com)
- Developing Land-Based Coral Facilities to Stimulate Multiple Ex-Situ Broadcast Spawning Events Per Year for Reef Restoration/Craggs
- Utilizing 3D Printing as an Alternative Method to Compensate for Buoyancy Imbalance Issues with Chelonia mydas in Public Aquariums/Knott
- AC/DC - The Advantages of Converting to Direct Current Pumps/Bailey
- Sand Tiger (Carcharias taurus) Shark Plasma Testosterone and Semen Seasonality for In-Situ and Ex-Situ Sharks/Wyffels
- Blood in the Water/Schreiber
- Laboratory Results at Hobbyist Pricing: Optimizing Water Quality Testing for Accuracy and Efficiency/Emmet
- Rescue, Husbandry, and Disease Treatment of Atlantic Pillar Coral (Dendrogyra cylindrus)/O'Neil
- Determining In-Situ Habitat Use and Migration of Sand Tiger Sharks (Carcharias taurus) in the Western North Atlantic/Paxton and Fatzinger
Best of RAW 2019
Best of RAW 2019 (Videos available on AnimalProfessional.com)
: : :
: : :
- Thinking Outside the Aquarium: Taking an interdisciplinary approach to animal husbandry- Lauren Harper
- Visualizing Sand Tiger Shark (Carcharias taurus) Space Use in Aquariums using ZooMonitor and ArcGIS- Nancy Pham
- Design and Testing of a Self-Contained, Wirelessly Monitored and Controlled, Automated LSS System for the Transport of Large Teleosts and Elasmobranchs- Kevin Curlee
- Not a Fluke! Eliminating Neobenedinia sp. From a Group of Wild Caught Pacific Fish in Quarantine- Rachel Moote
- Using novel behavior training to increase visitor impact- Michelle Benedict
- Duped by a Fish: Livebearing Adventures in Larval Rearing of the Black Brotula, Stygnobrotula latebricola - Allison Waltz-Hill and Jeremy Brodt
- Parthenogenesis in the epaulette shark Hemiscyllium ocellatum- Sarah Tempesta
- Chambering the Chambered Nautilus: Raising Nautilus pompilius hatchlings in pressure chambers- Ellen Umeda
- The Use of Visible Implant Elastomer (VIE) Tags in Jellyfish- Rachel Stein
- Accomplishments and Challenges for Rising Tide Conservation- Judy St. Leger
- Renovating a Two‐Decade‐Old Artificial Reef- Jessica Nishimoto